We Are Who Helped Build Us
eMotors Direct's Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Here at eMotors Direct, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) is more than just a box to check – it's how the world should operate daily. It's how we strive to operate. It's at the core of the direction of our company. We serve Canadians no matter where they're from, how they think, who they love, and how they present. And we strive to represent that within our four walls.
We're committed to building a team as diverse as our product offering. Committed to celebrating our differences. To uplifting our teammates and encouraging their growth. We're committed to recognizing our mistakes and striving to do better every day.
Diverse perspectives will always generate better ideas. We believe that employees who are free to be authentically themselves can bring more to the table. Authenticity encourages creativity – and we wouldn't be where we are today without the innovative ideas of our people.
Creating a workplace culture of respect and belonging is so much more than just publishing this DEI statement; it's something we consider with each business decision we make. eMotors Direct commits to our staff and customers that we will always strive to build up the communities we work in, all of them.
If any of this rings true for you, too, you belong here.
Tangible Differences We've Made
- Developed a hiring process with a strong focus on acquiring the best talent through an inclusive and unbiased hiring process.
- Developed an internal Anti-Bullying/Harassment policy and process.
- Developed and publicly posted this DEI statement so current staff and clients know where we stand and how we’ll be moving into the future. And to inform potential new hires and clients on what to expect when working with us.
- Donation of company time to allow team members to engage in advocacy programs, such as board positions.
- Researched and purchased an Inclusive Leadership course. All staff are encouraged to take the course.
- Developed and publicly posted our Land Acknowledgement statement to honor and remember the indigenous peoples who stood here before us.
- Hired French-speaking staff to serve clients from Quebec, and around Canada, who primarily speak French.
- Created, and continue to create, audiobook versions of our blog posts for the vision impaired.
How We're Moving Forward
- Seek out more resources for further education for staff.
- Development of internal social events that celebrate the diversity of our staff and clients.
- Seek out more opportunities for working with minorities when hiring freelance creators or contractors.
We recognize that this is a learning process and not an overnight change. We also recognize that we may make mistakes along the way. As a company, we are open to constructive criticism and are fully committed to doing the work that needs to be done.
A Statement from eMotors Management
We believe that a diverse team allows for a broader range of skills, increased creativity, higher employee engagement, and creates an environment ripe for innovation. Our team has grown by 42% in the last 12 months. We've been intentional about hiring the top talent but also striving to build an inclusive and unbiased hiring process. Although we still have room to improve, we're excited to say that we have a team diverse in gender, age, culture, and ethnicity.
Working for eMotors Direct has certainly been the highlight of my career. The hiring process is comprehensive, and once onboarded, you are trusted to carry out the work you were hired to do no matter your ethnicity, gender, or expression. My insights are encouraged, welcomed, and valued. The environment is positive and inviting, no matter what background you come from. And it’s great to see that as the company grows, our staff continues to get more diverse so we can bring more voices to the table.
Thank you for taking a chance on this tattooed and green-haired creator!