The Optim Premium Efficiency TEFC TECO Westinghouse motor is a highly versatile severe duty motor designed for a diverse range of industrial applications, including fans & blowers, crushers, mixers, pumps, compressors, and conveyors.
With a power range from 1 to 800 HP, this motor series is built to provide reliable performance in demanding environments. The motor features a Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled (TEFC) IP54 design, with IP55 for 5000 Frames and larger, offering protection against environmental elements.
Operating at 60Hz and available in voltage options of 230/460V, 460V, or 575V, the motor is designed for horizontal F1 mounting and offers multiple speed options, including 3600, 1800, 1200, and 900 RPM, all while maintaining NEMA Premium Efficiency.
- Shielded Bearings (Frames 140T-280T); Open Bearings with Regreaseable Provisions (Frames 280TS, 320T, and Larger)
- Grease: Polyrex EM in all Regreaseable Bearings; Multemp SRL Grease in Shielded Bearings
- Rotor Material: Aluminum up to 440T Frames; Copper/Copper Alloy or Aluminum Rotor for 5000 and Larger
- Frame Material: Cast Iron
- Conduit Box: Cast Iron up to 449T Frames; Fabricated Steel for 5000 Frames and Larger
- Fan Material: Non-Sparking Plastic up to 449T; Bronze Fan for 440TS 2 Pole Motors; Aluminum Fan for 5000 Frames and Larger
- Number of Leads: Varied based on Voltage and HP
- Terminal Type: Solderless Lug Terminals on All Leads
- Interchangeable F1 and F2 Mounting up to 449T; F3 Available for 5000 Frames and Larger
- Dual Drilled Feet for Longer Frames (449T and Below)
- Paint System: Phenolic Rust-Proof Base with Lacquer Top Coat
- Additional Features: Insulated NDE Bearing (Standard for 5000 Frames and Larger), Flinger Options, HPE™ High Pulse Endurance Spike Resistant Wire, Winding RTD's, Space Heaters, and Provisions for Bearing RTD's
Design features include a 1.15 Service Factor Sine Wave Power and 1.0 Service Factor VFD Power, Class F insulation, and suitability for continuous duty with a maximum elevation of 3300ft. The motor adheres to NEMA Design B or C standards and is rated for an ambient temperature of 40˚C.
In terms of certifications, the motor is CSA certified for Class I, Division 2, Groups B, C & D (Class I, Zone 2, Groups IIB+H2, IIB, and IIA). CSA certification for Class II, Division 2 (Class II, Zone 22) is available for 440 frames and larger upon request.
The motor also supports speed ranges up to 10:1 CT and 20:1 VT, with specific turn-down ratios outlined in the data sheet. Importantly, it meets NEMA MG1 Part 126.96.36.199.
Need it Now?
See our for equivalent alternatives
Technical Support Available 8:30am-6:00pm ESTCall 1-800-890-7593
No cross-referenced matches have been found, but our team may be able to help find an alternate solution.
TECO Westinghouse: Optim TEFC (172)
The OPTIM TEFC is designed to meet the diverse requirements of the modern industrial world. Backed by a three-year warranty, this unit offers premium efficiency ratings that deliver significant life-cycle savings.
- Available from 1-800HP; 2, 4, 6 & 8 Pole
- Inverter Speed Range 10:1 CT & 20:1 VT up to 300HP; 3:1 CT & 20:1 VT 301-600HP
What Does Severe Duty Mean?
Sometimes referred to as ‘hostile duty motors’, severe duty motors are an unofficial class of rugged, industrial motors. The term may refer to any TEFC motor, but more commonly refers to IEEE 841 motors. They typically come with a cast iron construction to withstand harsh applications.
Severe duty motors are more likely to protect the motor from airborne contamination or mechanical stress. For added protection and longevity, these often come with sealed bearings, which limits potential overload situations. Bearing failure is the most common cause of motor failure.
These motors are constructed with especially durable materials. The fan cover will typically be cast iron, whereas some general-purpose motors will offer a plastic fan cover. The junction box will typically be cast iron as well, instead of aluminum or steel.
What is an IEEE 841 Motor Rated For?
IEEE 841 is the Cadillac of motors, offering superior construction and capability. These were first introduced in 1986 for use in petroleum and chemical industries. They’re meant for severe duty applications and offer an extended lifespan; despite the added stress and contamination they encounter.
- Insulation: They’re designed with a minimum of class F insulation. This means the insulation can withstand temperatures of 130° C.
- Enclosure: These severe duty motors come Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled with Inpro seals in each end and are rated Class 1, Division 2
- Oversized greaseable bearings
- Epoxy paint with a stainless nameplate
- Tropicalized winding to prevent fungus
- Only come in three-phase 460V or 575V with 3-leads
- Rotor is balanced to a higher tolerance to meet 0.08 in/s of vibration
- Motors comes with a routine test report
- Warranty: Because of their rugged design, these motors come with a standard 5-year warranty.
- For additional specifications, check out our article and video on IEEE 841 motors.
Where to Buy IEEE 841 Severe Duty Motors in Canada
eMotors Direct’s stock of severe duty electric motors meet and exceed the IEEE 841 standard set out in 2009. This standard was created by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers to improve the efficiency, reliability, and performance of electric motors used in the petroleum and chemical industries. IEEE 841 motors have now been adopted as a standard in additional industries, like oil & gas, pulp & paper, wastewater treatment, and mining, due to their inverter duty and constant speed abilities. You’ll find these electric motors are most often applied to compressors, pumps, fans, conveyors, and gear reducers. Rated as NEMA Premium Efficient, these severe duty motors have additional protections that help to reduce downtime and overall cost of ownership.
Our IEEE 841 motor category covers three-phase, single speed electric motors. Select your motor from horsepower options of fractional to 500 HP and a variety of voltage input and RPM output ratings. Choose a motor with either a totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) or totally enclosed non-ventilated (TENV) enclosure and various mounting options. Shop from the best brands available in North America; TECO-Westinghouse, Nidec, Marathon, Leeson, and Baldor severe duty motors.
Shop IEEE 841 motors online through our Canadian website today. With over 1950 SKUs and convenient filtering options, you can easily find the motor you’re searching for.
Need a hand finding the right motor for your application or legacy replacement? Contact our motors experts. They have extensive knowledge, backed by over 45 years of experience, to help you with your electric motor project.
There are no reviews for this product yet.Be the first to write a review
About TECO Westinghouse
George Westinghouse introduced his DC Motor line in 1888, marking the beginnings of the TECO-Westinghouse brand. Now a market leader in electric motor and control design and supply in Canada for various industries. TECO-Westinghouse branded motors’ manufacturing facilities are in Taiwan, China, and Malaysia, and their headquarters are in Edmonton, AB.
Their extensive network of manufacturing bases are located across the globe and offer product innovation opportunities, fantastic engineering and manufacturing resources, and unmatched service. TECO-Westinghouse has always put quality first; their products exceed international industrial standards. With over 100 years under their belt and products that span a range of applications, TECO-Westinghouse is your preferred source of electric motors, controls, and accessories.Shop TECO Westinghouse